Our brave boy harry!

Our brave boy harry!
Love you lots.

Monday, June 13, 2011

A year ago today!







I can't actually believe that this nightmare journey began a year ago. A year ago the doctor told us that he thought Harry had Osteosarcoma but we still had to do the biopsy. I didn't even know what Osteo was, and wish that I still didn't. I remember telling everyone that the man must be a total idiot if he thought Harry had bone cancer as he didn't even look sick, but it turned out that he was right and he is also one of the best surgeons in Perth!
Since I started this post (and I didn't get very far) harry has now had his 3 months scan and is still looking good. On Friday 10th he had his CT and bone scan. That night we also had a quiz night happening for the Telethon adventurers, so I asked Kong Kong if he would mind taking Harry there so I could get everything set up. The bone scan and CT were done, and we then had to wait till Wednesday to get the results. A friend of mine asked if I was nervous, and the answer was 'NO, Harry is going to be fine and if not then you can come and pick me up off the floor!' I suppose by Tuesday evening I was getting a little nervous and think I spent the whole evening with tears streaming down my face - but of course only once the children had gone to bed. We went into hospital on Wednesday and got there at 9.30 in time for our appointment and at 10.15 one of the ward doctors came and called 'Harry O'Neill', to which he replied, 'about time!' Gotta love the kids honesty! The doctor was new, and a nice guy, and he actually laughed and said he agreed. The oncologists booked appointments from 9.30 and yet there meeting never finished till at least 10.
All came back as prayed for, and we now have 3 months before we have to go back which will be September. The doctor mentioned this, so I had to ask for tests in a certain week as September is a busy month, and we have sky dives and all sorts happening. Funnily enough the appointments have already come through in exactly the week I wanted. What is going on here? mmmm... I am sure it will be changed before we get there or maybe not!!
The bone scan showed no signs of healing still in the ankle, so the operation for that is booked on the 28th June. According to the hospital information we were sent, we should only be in there a day. Amazing really, remove a few screws, possibly take some bone from his pelvis and then send you home! I am not complaining though as we will be on ward 6, and no offence but I hate this ward. Isn't it funny, even though the oncology ward is the last ward you would want your child to be on, it is probably the nicest one in the hospital.
Harry is taking it all in his stride, but I am sure the anger will kick in just before as he won't want to go in. I dont' blame him, who would, so broad shoulders on and I will just take whatever he throws my way.
The quiz night was a great night and we raised approx $10,000 for the Telethon Adventurers. Now it is on to the next event, the Jurien Bay skydive. Sept 17th and 18th. So if it is on your bucket list there is no excuse.... unless you are scared!!!!
If you are not brave (or mad) enough to jump, then you can always be a part of the event, by donating money to someone who is jumping. If you are interested in jumping or donating then please email me on vic@suremigration.com
The photos at the top are a day we spent with camp quality on the power boats. If you were 10 years and older you got to drive on your own, so Harry went off, although a bit nervous, and then right at the end I got to have a go. It was great fun, and will make sure I get my name on the board earlier next time! The kids are also going to see Kung Fu Panda 2 with them this weekend, which they are looking forward to.
I have decided that I am going to get the blog printed after Harrys operation. I might continue adding to the blog after this to keep you all updated, but if you want to get your name in the book, please send Harry a message.
Until the next time, ciao for now.

1 comment:

  1. Love. Courage. Strength. Endless love and prayers xx

    Jess

    ReplyDelete