Our brave boy harry!

Our brave boy harry!
Love you lots.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New year to all my friends and family


As the end of 2010 draws to an end, I know there are many families who are out there that are hoping that 2011 is going to be a bigger and better year for them, filled with lots of love and happiness, and I would like to wish you all the best for the coming year.
It is hard to believe that this time last year we were waiting for people to come round and celebrate the new year without a care in the world and this year, we are just hoping that Harrys temperature doesn’t go up and we end up at PMH with the worry of an infection.
The year has been a very big learning curve for all of us. I thought breaking my jaw was bad, but then having your 9 year old son diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, months of chemo and an operation to remove his shoulder joint was something that I had never thought would happen. I remember saying to dad ‘ I just want someone to say “Sorry this isn’t your life we got the tapes mixed up” but no such luck.
Harry has been a tremendously brave boy and has grown a lot as a person in the last 6 months as a result of what has happened. He wants to never talk about the treatment when it is all over, but I am sure that there will be more emotional roller coaster rides in the future, but he will deal with it and continue to grow.
I have been meaning to write this for ages, but always forget. When we were first told about Harry we were given a book about childhood cancer. I was reading it the one day and came across a chapter on what to say and what not to say, and thought it was quite appropriate.
What to say when a friends child has been diagnosed with cancer :
I am so sorry.
I didn’t call you earlier because I didn’t know what to say.
Things that really don’t help :
God only gives people what they can handle. – I remember thinking at first it was because Harry is strong, but after a while you do begin to doubt who is up there watching over us as why do so many children have to go through this.
You are so brave or so strong – well we are not, you just have to get on with it and cope the best you can.
I know how you feel – well unless you have a child with cancer, then I doubt it.
Also don’t say ‘let us know if there is anything we can do to help.’ It is far better to make a suggestion. Trying to organise the change in your life is hard enough, without then having to go to people and ask for favours.
The one thing I have hated is friends that have ignored me. I do understand that you don’t always know what to say and before I was in this position I would have fallen into that category, but you feel alienated enough without people crossing the street or just not talking.

Anyway a week today and we will be in York and getting for the sky dive. So if it is not the last thing you do in 2010, then make it the first thing you do in 2011 and donate to the sky dive. 30 people jumping out of a plane from 14,000 ft and paying $429 each to raise money for the children in Perth who are living with cancer. So please make it worth our while and donate, every little helps and a lot is always a great gesture as well.
Heres to a better 2011. My new years resolutions are :
1. To make it through the sky dive.
2. To be a better judge of character. I want to be the one who says I never trusted him/her/them rather than the one who says ‘I thought they were ok’ when they turn out to be complete moles.
3. To lose all the weight I have put on whilst sitting around PMH waiting for a better meal to come along but eating them all just incase.

They so say people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. Well to those who are in this for the long haul, I love you, and for those of you who have turned out to be seasons, thank god that the season has changed!!

To all my family and friends who have supported me throughout the last 6 or so months, I love you all and am very grateful for everything you have done.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year O'Neills,Glad you're home where the kids can swim and keep cool. Hope the weather is just perfect for the jump next week. Is there a website to donate? What was the big present Harry received? Loved the look on his face. Will think of you next Saturday,have you contacted the TV stations? would be a great news story.

    ReplyDelete